Decorating Style Series: Hollywood Regency
04 Monday Mar 2013
decorating style, decorating styles, decorating techniques, hollywood regency decorating, hollywood regency style, home decorating styles, interior decorating style, interior design tips, tips on decorating
This week in my decorating style series I’m going to tell you about the characteristics of Hollywood Regency style decorating. Hollywood Regency style originated in the golden age of Hollywood and is reminiscent of the sleek set design of the Studio era in the 1930’s. This decorating style is all about the glitz and glam of luxurious living and encompasses a range of neoclassical styles developed in the early 19th century that is characterized by sleek lines, color, drama and contrast. A Hollywood Regency style home will be filled with bold colors in vibrant tones like reds, yellows and turquoise that are contrasted against white or black to create an even more dramatic effect. The furnishings should be arranged for conversation, as this style is centered around entertaining.
Rich fabrics, mirrored surfaces, contrasting colors, tufting and textures are the key elements that define Hollywood Regency style decorating.
Here are some of the characteristics of Hollywood Regency Style Decorating:
- Upholstered furniture with details such as tufting, nail heads or piping. Use a contrast color for piping chairs and sofas.
- Sofas, chairs and chaises with curved backs and feminine lines that sit low to the ground.
- Rich Luxe fabrics such as silk, leather, velvet and faux fur
- Bold patterns such as trellis, animal prints, wide stripes and geometric patterns. These patterns are used throughout the room and are seen in pillows, rugs, curtains and even wallpaper.
- Lacquered furniture in vivid colors, such as tomato red, Prussian blue or Kelly green.
- Mirrors, Mirrors and More Mirrors this includes mirrored panels, framed mirrors, mirrored furniture and mirrored accents
- Furnishings like Chinoiserie vases, gold statues, brass knobs, carved frames and mirrors, crystal lamps, furry or animal skin rugs and tasseled pillows
- Glass and Crystal Light Fixtures such as Large Crystal Chandeliers or Etched Pendants and Crystal Stemmed lamps with fancy shades
Hollywood Regency Style Decorating is perfect for people who like clean lines, small scale furnishings that are detailed, luxurious and full of glitz and glam and an atmosphere centered around entertaining.
Here are a few Hollywood Regency Style decorating ideas and inspirations.
I hope you enjoy!
Photos via Houzz