Decorating Style Series: French Country
26 Saturday Jan 2013
country french homes, country living, decorating style, decorating styles, decorating techniques, french country cottage, french country decor, french country house, french style, home decorating styles, interior decorating style, interior design tips, tips on decorating
This week in my decorating style series I’m going to tell you about the characteristics of Country French style decorating. Country French is known for it’s renowned elegance mixed with old-world and a touch of nature. By incorporating antiques, blue and yellow, florals and nature inspiration, lush drapes, rich fabrics, and gilded furniture you can create the perfect french country look in your home. A country french style home will be filled with soft colors that emphasize the colors of nature, textured walls, informal wood tones, slipcovers and distressed painted furniture.
While there are many elements that contribute to the French Country style of decorating, the resulting look will feel warm, charming and inviting.
Here are some of the characteristics of Country French Style Decorating:
- French country furniture has a well-used and rustic appearance. The look can be achieved with distressing techniques to give the furnishings the charm of older pieces.
- Fabrics: Toile is the quintessential print for this style, but toss in a few hints of gingham, stripes, florals and solids for the perfect french country look
- Colors in French country decor reflect the countryside like lavender, green, yellow, blue, golds and red
- Window Treatments: Printed or solid colored drapes that are hung high and extend to the floor, roman shades, bay windows and panels adorned with fringe and lace.
- Much of the appeal of French country style lies in the decorative accents. One of the most iconic accents of french country style decorating is the rooster.
- Other accessories in french country style decorating include fresh or artificial flowers in a rustic vase or pitcher, a mix of old and new pottery, as well as a wide array of antiques and flea market finds such as painted and gilded candlesticks, woven baskets, mismatched plates, bird cages, etc.
- Lighting: Crystal Chandeliers, Rod Iron Chandeliers and Hanging Lanterns are key elements of a french country home
- Butcher block counter-tops, distressed cabinets and farm-style dinning tables are prominent in french country kitchens
French Country Style decorating is perfect for those who love a relaxed and comfortable home full of old world antiques and flea market finds.
Here are a few of my favorite French Country inspirations
Tags: country french homes, country living, decorating style, decorating styles, decorating techniques, french country cottage, french country decor, french country house, french style, home decorating styles, interior decorating style, interior design tips, tips on decorating